Mentoring is basically passing on of professional knowledge about the Corporate Management, its rules, how to tackle different situations and how to solve problems. The experienced person (the mentor) coaches the junior. Organizations are implementing mentoring programs to increase their productivity and career development. Mentor exposes the trainee to the working of the Corporate Management, helps in expanding his visibility in terms of goals and teaches how to work in a challenging environment. Moreover, there is an improvement in the services of the organization and it helps in better strategic planning. A good mentor is important for the right development of the trainee. Some of the reasons for the need of mentoring are:
- It helps the process of settlement of new trainees easier. One of the roles of mentors is to familiarize the new recruits to the organization and the working of Corporate Management.
- It gives an opportunity to the senior and experienced employees to pass on their expertise and skills to the new recruits. The new recruits can learn so much about the Corporate Management from their seniors.
- Mentors help in the development of professional identity of the new recruits. It is hard to understand the working of the Corporate Management and you need help to do this if you are new.
- Mentoring someone brings out the leadership qualities in the mentor. It helps them in enhancing their skills to be self reliant and responsible.
- Whatever you learn in schools and colleges are basically theory. You do not learn the practical things about the Corporate Management until you join an organization. Mentoring fills the gap between theory and practical. A mentor can help you to get the hands-on experience and practical knowledge.
- Mentoring can be formal or informal. Formal mentoring is more organized with clear and specific goals, whereas informal mentoring does not have precise goals as it is meant for interpersonal enhancement.
With mentoring, the new recruits can attain the knowledge of the problems that are faced in an organization. It enhances the leadership qualities and the sharing of the knowledge. Mentoring can teach you the working of Corporate Management and how to work in it. It also helps in improving the communication within the organization, professional success and flexibility in working. It also trains you for the risk management. Regular monitoring and analysis of the mentoring process is done to see if it is fulfilling its purpose. To achieve the best from the mentoring process, you have to evaluate it from time to time and modify the strategies if they are not fruitful.